The newest Tyler Perry movie, Boo! A Madea Halloween, ruled the US box office this weekend to become the highest-earning film. It was the No. 1 film at the box office, with Tom Cruise action movie Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Ouija: Origin of Evil, The Accountant, and The Girl on the Train rounding out the top five.
The Jack Reacher sequel may have been the No. 2 film this weekend, but its $23 million start is far better than the first film's $15.2 million debut, according to Entertainment Weekly.
A notable miss was Keeping Up with the Joneses, which had a budget of $40 million before marketing and only made $5.6 million during its debut weekend. The movie, which stars Gal Gadot, Jon Hamm, Zach Galifianakis, and Isla Fisher, was a "disaster" at the box office, according to Deadline.
Go to EW to see a full breakdown of this weekend's US box office results.
Here are the Top 10 movies at the US box office for October 21-23, as posted by EW:
- Boo! A Madea Halloween - $27.6 million
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $23 million
- Ouija: Origin of Evil - $14 million
- The Accountant - $14 million
- The Girl on the Train - $7.3 million
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children - $6 million
- Keeping Up with the Joneses - $5.6 million
- Kevin Hart: What Now? - $4.1 million
- Storks - $4.1 million
- Deepwater Horizon - $3.6 million